Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Basics:
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Harper Collins
Mainstream, Romance
Amazon.ca Kobo.com

I bought this one on sale.

Blurb:

A first-date dud, socially awkward and overly fond of quick-dry clothes, genetics professor Don Tillman has given up on love, until a chance encounter gives him an idea.

He will design a questionnaire—a sixteen-page, scientifically researched questionnaire—to uncover the perfect partner. She will most definitely not be a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker or a late-arriver. Rosie is all these things. She is also fiery and intelligent, strangely beguiling, and looking for her biological father a search that a DNA expert might just be able to help her with.

The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy like no other. It is arrestingly endearing and entirely unconventional, and it will make you want to drink cocktails.

Why I picked up this book:

It seems to be everywhere, I read the inside cover and thought it sounded quirky and entertaining.

My thoughts:

Wow. Wow.  Normally I don't go in for heavily hyped books. I get excited and then am let down and why bother with that?

I'm so glad that ignored my normal policy.

The Rosie Project is a story about a quirky academic, Don, who lives by his routines and schedules and logic. He's very aware of how different he is from most people when it comes to participating in social conventions and developing relationships with other people. When he decides he'd like to find a wife, Don embarks on a journey that has repercussions well beyond those that he's planned on.    


Don is one of the most endearing characters in any book I've read in the last several years. He's so earnest, and so genuinely puzzled when his efforts aren't received as intended. I think if he only bumbled around, he might be less likeable. His desire for understanding, if not always improvement, makes him entirely loveable. His perspective and narration is so completely on point, so different from anything else I've read - thoroughly enjoyable! 

The plot line in this book is light, though it doesn't avoid heavy subjects. With some digging, you could easily discuss issues like love, fidelity, friendship, old age, memory, first impressions and stereotypes, ethics, morality and more. It's an easy book club choice and topical for anyone looking for a contemporary book for an essay (high school students, I'm looking at you). It's a quick read that will stay with you.

I want to gush about this book!

Bottom line:

Definitely recommended. I didn't intend to review this one, but it was so good, I had to toss a review up to share it with anyone who hasn't caved and picked it up yet!


5 stars
For fans of contemporary romance, quirky characters, issues with a candy coating

No comments:

Post a Comment