Saturday, April 12, 2014

A to Z - J (2014)

I'm doing the A to Z Blogging Challenge this year. The basic idea is to blog nearly daily with each day representing a different letter of the alphabet. My entries will be short and book-related.  

I do realize that I'm a day late here (and two for I) but I've decided that I'm just going to catch-up and carry on. It's that or give up on the month and I didn't actually expect to make it this far in the first place. 



J is for...

Jim Butcher!


When I started reading Urban Fantasy, my first authors were all women - Patricia Briggs and Karen Chance come to mind. I loved their books, and have stuck with their series. It didn't take long for me to trip over Jim Butcher's name as one of the more significant authors in the genre.  

The Dresden Files is easily on my "top ten series to follow" list. This was the first series I read with a male perspective, and I really appreciated how that set it apart from the typical kick-ass female urban fantasy novel. Even more than this, I love how Dresden's world has evolved over the course of the series. I have never felt as though his story rotated around a romantic entanglement, nor that the stakes have had to escalate infinitely to keep things interesting. Dresden's work as a wizard-for-hire is not exactly atypical of the genre, but I think is leveraged to excellent effect. His career choice provides all kinds of interesting plot opportunities and doesn't become a side note after the first book or two.

Butcher has also written epic fantasy, but I haven't read any of these yet. I imagine they're also incredibly fun and engaging!

Are you a Butcher fan?  Did you ever watch the short-livedDresden Files television series?  

No comments:

Post a Comment